Hey, guys. It’s Bill Meeks from Greetings from Storybrooke. I’m attending Regal Con 2015, a Once Upon a Time convention, in Anaheim, CA this weekend. Here’s the report for day two.
Day Two was pretty much the best. Between meeting our listeners, Once Upon a Time stars, and of course the magic juice at the ball I had a complete blast.
First off… Remember this little Mickey Head that our listener Patty sent into us a few months ago?
I dubbed him “The Apprentice” and carried him around all day getting pictures with people. Here’s the full gallery:
I misplaced him about halfway through the day so I came up a bit short, but I’ll have him with me all day. Come! Meet #TheApprentice!
Next up was the morning press event with Lee Arenberg (Grumpy), Beverley Elliott (Granny), and Gil McKinney (Prince Eric).
I’ll have the full video to share with you in a day or two but be prepared for lots of talk about the fandom, acting, and huge knowledge bombs from Lee. He’s such a laid back chill dude and has a lot to say about acting, communication, and life in general. Made me feel like I was back in college studying theater.
I also got to meet up with Jeff & Colleen from the Once Upon a Time Fan Podcast and our listener Liz.
Next up was the Q&A Panel with Arenberg, David Anders (Whale), and Eion Bailey.
Look for more of these pics once I get home and get them sorted out.
Lots of fun discussions (and profanity!) were had by all. Arenberg wanted us to get the word out that he likes wolves. If he could play any other character on the show it would be Rumpelstiltskin, who the panel universally agreed is a blast to work with. He also mentioned he’d love more meaty episodes like ‘Dreamy’ in the future. He told us how these days network heads get a social media report along with the Neilson ratings every morning that tracks hashtags, conversations, and general online buzz. He also talked a lot about his acting philosophy, which boils down to “Tell me what the f— to do, then get out of my way so I can do it.”
Bailey also talked a lot about acting. He defines “chemistry” on screen as “the relationship between two actors”. He told an anecdote about freaking out on set one day when they rolled in a hot dog cart while he was trying to do a scene, and how his freak out over the hot dogs humbled him as an actor. He went on to discuss what makes Once Upon a Time special, concluding that the show premise can be inspirational in all our lives. The show is filled with larger-than-life characters who have to rediscover their true nature. His takeaway is that “We are incredible. We just have to wake up to it.”
Anders talked about filming “In the Name of the Brother,” and how exhausting it was for him. He also discussed his role on Heroes, saying that speaking authentic Japanese with a British accent was challenging for him.
Next up… THE QUEEN!
- Lana feels most like Regina when she’s driving.
- She mentioned that Jared Gilmore is really close with Josh Dallas and that it’s very cute.
- She approaches each “stage” of Regina’s live (pre-Evil Queen, Evil Queen, Post-Curse, etc.) as different characters.
- She’d like to see Regina go off adventuring in Season 5, but has a feeling they’ll still be mostly in Storybrooke.
- As an actress her favorite episode is “Welcome to Storybrooke”. She wanted to exxplore that time and loves the discovery process.
- Robert Carlyle is constantly playing pranks on set. In one of the cabin episodes this season he held a water bottle at his hip mid-scene and pretended to pee everywhere to get her to break character. Bailey yelled from the back of the room encouraging her to tell the story.
- When asked what her favorite kiss on the show she gave the very political answer “Henry”. Awwwwws were had.
- Her favorite music is 90s hip hop.
- Her biggest challenge is keeping the character fresh after four years.
- The actor who plays her father is a poet in real life. He even wrote her a poem! She hates being mean to him and gives him a big hug after tough scenes.
She also brought up a cosplayer who put together a version of her favorite costume.
The next big event I attended was the ball. There were some scheduling issues with the VIP Dinner so we had to wait around a bit for things to start…
Once things got started it was a really good time. Had great discussions with David Anders, McKinney, and Robin himself Sean Macguire. My favorite moment of the con was seeing a little girl approach Macguire with a bracelet she’d made for him. He had her put it on then gave her a big hug. Sweetest thing ever.
Overall the day was a total blast! My main concentration today is on our panel, which will be broadcast live through YouTube at 4PM PST, 7PM EST today. Feel free to swing by our live broadcast portal to watch live and hang out with people in the chat.
Wish me luck!